Wick Voices Home Recordings Collections About us News Contact us Log in

History of John O'Groats Part 2: The ghost of John O'Groats hotel...

Recorded 2 years ago

About this recording

Walter Mowat was born and has lived much of his life in John O’Groats. Walter is a keen collector of stories and information relating to the area. Here he recalls some of these stories.

The John O’Groats Hotel is claimed to be haunted by a ghost, sometimes referred to as the Green Lady and sometimes the Grey Lady. Maggie Mowat who lived in the Last House and worked in the hotel, always claimed it was the Grey Lady. The ghost, whichever colour inhabits the eight-sided tower of the hotel. The ghost’s origins are unclear but may date back to the times of Jan De Groot. Walter suggests that, as the tower has five windows each looking out across the Pentland Firth. He suggests that the lights from various lighthouses possibly mingle with the mist, creating a ghostly image within the tower.

In June 1959 the tower caught fire and at a later date, lightning struck the weathervane, bending its shape. The weather vane remained misshapen for many years but has now been repaired.

Among the many guests who have stayed in the hotel over the years was Emmeline Pankhurst, the Suffragette leader. Her signature and her poetic comment is recorded in the hotel’s register.

Duncansby Lighthouse was built and became fully operational in 1924. At that time supplies for the lighthouse were brought by ship, often the Pole Star, to the John O’Groats pier and stored in the building, still known as the Lighthouse Store. To accommodate the landing of the supplies the Northern Lighthouse Board built an extension to the pier, which was only demolished when the existing pier was extended.

When the Duncansby Lighthouse was built a foghorn was also placed there. This foghorn was unusual in that it gave five blasts as opposed to most others that had one, two, or three blasts. The foghorn was driven by three engines. When the lighthouse was to be automated, the three and half ton foghorn was bought by Walter Mowat and it now sits beside the shore at John O’Groats.

Walter tells of the invention of the foghorn by a Scotsman, Robert Foulis who had emigrated to Nova Scotia. On one misty night, Mr Foulis realised that the lower notes of his daughter’s piano could be heard outside most clearly. This was the inspiration for his foghorn invention.

Contributors
Walter MowatBorn in 1952

Photos

There are no photos for this recording.


Comments ()

You might also enjoy ...

History of John O'Groats Part 1: The story of Jan de Groot...Walter Mowat
History of John O'Groats Part 3: The Monte Carlo Rally....Walter Mowat
FolkloreWalter Mowat



All content and recordings are copyright 2026 The Wick Society

Brought to you by the online heritage experts
Close
Close