Wick Voices Home Recordings Collections About us News Contact us Log in

Canisbay Church shines like a beacon

Recorded 4 years ago

About this recording

"Canisbay Church shines like a beacon and is clearly visible from land and sea,” explains Christine Shearer, retired Headteacher of Canisbay School.

Christine has had a long association with the church as her late father, Rev George Bell was minister there for 21 years, from 1958 until 1979.

The historic church of Canisbay sits on a mound beside the Pentland Firth looking out to the islands of Stroma and Orkney. It is believed there has been a site of worship there since the 6th century when St Drostan's followers came to preach to the Picts. It is also believed that there may be the remains of a Pictish settlement beneath the church. The building is cruciform in shape, with the tower being the oldest part of the church.

Christine describes the tombstone of Jan de Groot, who died in 1568. He was a Dutchman who ran a ferry to Orkney. He also gave his name to John O' Groats.

In the graveyard of the church, there is a granite obelisk, bearing the name of J.T. Calder, 1815 – 1855, local schoolmaster, poet, historian and author of 'History of Caithness'.

The interior of the church and many of the artefacts are described by Christine and she also talks about some of the historical events associated with the church. During the ministry of Rev Andrew Ogston, the people were called to worship by the playing of the bagpipes throughout the local area.

When Oliver Cromwell's men were billeted in the local area, from 1650 -1652, the horses were apparently stabled within the church.

Dr. John Morrison, the minister from 1780 until 1798 co-wrote many of the paraphrases. He also wrote the First Statistical Account of Canisbay in 1793. In it, he suggested the need to build lighthouses at Duncansby and the Pentland Skerries. However, he was less than complimentary about the local people and said, "No people in the World were fonder of doing nothing.”

The Royal family has a long association with Canisbay Church and Christine talks about how her father got to know the Queen Mother during her annual visits to the Castle of Mey. Christine explains that in addition to her regular attendance at Canisbay Church, the Queen Mother took a great interest in the local parish. This tradition has been continued by Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay.

In 2021 the Rev Janet Easton Berry became the minister of the Church of Scotland Pentland Parish, which includes Canisbay, Keiss, Dunnet and Olrig.

Contributors
Christine ShearerBorn in 1945

Photos

There are no photos for this recording.


Comments ()

You might also enjoy ...

Canisbay School has been good to meChristine Shearer



All content and recordings are copyright 2026 The Wick Society

Brought to you by the online heritage experts
Close
Close